Friday, April 25, 2008

...and they will say, "Everything happens for a reason."

We got the call a few days ago, and we didn't make it into the Battle of the Bands. Since our crazy trip to Cleveland, everyone's been asking, "what the heck was that all about? What was the purpose? Why?" After telling our neighbors (who we barely know) about the fiasco, they even exclaimed, "well, everything happens for a reason..."

I know I was given songwriting for a purpose. But something my failed attempts at popularity are teaching me is that I was not given songwriting so I could make it and have what I've always dreamed. This is a worldly wisdom.

Every good and perfect gift is from the Father, for the Father. God does not care how popular or successful my music becomes. What he does care about is that I'm being who he created me to be. Now, I could not stop writing songs as much as I could stop blinking (maybe not the best analogy, but the songwriter within had to avoid the overused cliche of 'stop breathing').

I guess what I'm trying to say is this: I don't know what the heck all that was for. I don't know the purpose of the crazy trip to Cleveland. I don't know why. But I do know one thing: Tony Packo's makes a darn good hot dog, and I would be less of a man not having had one.

I guess I do know one other thing. It's from Isaiah 55:8-11. God's purposes are not our own. Where I may see a failure at music, God may have had in mind a vividly memorable, hilarious, humbling adventure with friends. Who knows? Not me... and they will say, "Everything happens for a reason."
APK

No comments: