Tuesday, December 22, 2009

inklings...

This Christmas season has been one of contemplation for me. There is much God is doing in my heart and mind, but I haven't yet found a way to articulate it. So I've been avoiding blogging.

I've been struck with several realities, glaring truths, that are causing me to slow down, live each day in the moment. 

It started with the discovery of a malignant brain tumor in a 35 year young pastor Aron & I listen to weekly on the Internet. Matt Chandler, pastor of The Village Church in Texas, is one of the most anointed men I have ever heard speak. He and his wife are walking through this in such  way that it can only be the strength that God gives. But this has rattled my "illusion of control" that we feel we have over our own existence.

In the midst of this, I had a moment when I realized, "Oh my goodness. I spend my whole life looking forward, onward to the next thing. I don't even realize God is allowing me to live out my dreams right now."

My life with my husband...even the smallest of moments like sipping coffee in the morning or snuggling watch football, watching aron read to Belle or delight in Judah. These are moments that I dreamed about, idealized as we dated. I couldn't wait. And now often, as I live in these blessed moments, I don't even realize the treasure of a dream come true. I often take them for granted as "life as usual".

Last night Aron & I listened to a podcast that literally blew my mind: the best Christmas sermon I have ever heard. Steve DeNeff is the pastor of the church we attended in college, and as I described Chandler, he too is among the most anointed men of God I have ever met. Think theologian meets orator meets scholar meets prophet. We would joke in college that after we'd leave church on Sunday, we would all be silent at lunch because we were still trying to wrap our minds around the truth we had just heard. I'm serious...listen to this podcast & you will see what I mean. God will stretch you and open your mind and soul by his words.

If you can carve 30 minutes out of your busy week - perhaps while you're baking or driving (if you put it on you ipod, of course) listen. And then lets talk about it. Aron & I are still digesting it. And its only the first message in the series. 

Then click "Podcast". 
itunes will upload. 
Choose "Inklings: Part 1 - Love". 
Click "Download" (this is free)
then prepare for your mind to be blown by these truths.
ejk

1 comment:

Unknown said...

love this post and reflection of your heart. it's making me ponder some of my own "dreams come true" that seem like "life as usual."

it is easy to pray and dream and wish about something and when it comes true we are initially so thankful...but then it wears off and that same "dream come true" may even repeat itself over and over again in our lives and we become a bit desensitized or immune to it, neglecting the fact that it is an answer to prayer or our heart's desires lived out.

you have me thinking and i really appreciate your perspective. i am definitely going to try to listen to this podcast. you have me intrigued, and i am always looking to stretch the heart and mind...feeling as if i need it this week too. the busy-ness has made me feel a little "dull around the edges" and i am finding it hard to keep myself decluttered.

there's nothing like a good dose of the truth to cure that!