Saturday, November 14, 2009

quite a rollercoaster

Its been a rough past few days, but we are hanging in there.

For me personally, I could feel emotional attacks of the enemy begin on Wednesday, and it snowballed from there. Without going into detail, Satan is crafty in his timing...waiting until you are most vulnerable to 'shoot an arrow' at an old healing wound. 

Through this, Aron was quick to point out, "I can see why you feel that way, but I think Satan is manipulating your emotions." He is exactly right. Often times when circumstances arise that cause us pain, we allow ourselves to believe false assumptions planted by Satan. He is the master deceiver...which means unless we are on our guard, we may not even realize we are deceived. 

Thursday we had Belle's opthalmologist appointment. She was very fearful the entire way there. And her physician, who has so awesome our first visit, was very short and impatient. Belle was scared to answer questions, and at one point he scolded us both telling me her uncooperative behavior was "unacceptable". As we were leaving, Belle asked for a sticker. I communicated her request to the tech, who then replied that the Doctor wanted me to show her the stickers and then tell her she didn't get any today for not cooperating. Next time, if she answered questions she would get a sticker. This did not go over well with my barely 3 year old who has had one too many traumatic medical experiences this year (can you say VCUG?).

So he wasn't able to do a thorough exam, but said he could tell by doing a test with a prism that she isn't using her left eye enough yet. He instructed us to begin patching 6 hours a day for 6 weeks. We began as soon as we got home. The first few hours were rough...really rough. Enough so that we thought it best to cancel plans for our family to visit this weekend. This was especially hard because Aron's sister & her sweet baby were coming for a visit, and we didn't want to miss out on an opportunity to spend some quality time with them as well as his mom & dad.

They had some needs at work Friday on the afternoon shift, so I decided to go in. Bad idea. I ended up in the ER after being sprayed in the eye with gastric contents from a PEG tube (permanent feeding tube inserted through the abdominal wall). Thankfully the rapid HIV test on the patient was negative, but I'm still waiting to hear about a few other infectious diseases they test for when you have an exposure. Very unnerving. I should know by Monday, but I struggle whether to nurse Judah or not until I find out if I am all clear. 

So I got home at midnight last night feeling overwhelmed with despair and fear. Despair for all the brokenness I had just encountered in my very ill patients at the hospital, worry over my own health and that of my babies, and emotionally exhausted from the roller coaster.

I simply prayed for God to restore my strength and my hope. Judah slept 8 solid hours, which allowed me to rest (albeit a few bad dreams about the whole week). Rest does wonders to grant you a new perspective. God is giving me peace this morning, and I am soaking in my family. There is nothing more precious in the world.

I am looking forward to worship tomorrow. Aron will be playing a song he wrote (which is always a highlight for me), and in the evening we get to hang out with our small group groupies - a promise of a good laugh and some great conversations (we're doing a marriage study) with our friends.

We would appreciate your prayers in this transition time with Belle as well as for healing for little eye. I would also appreciate your prayers as I wait to hear about this exposure.  And while you're talking to God on our behalf...don't forget Aron. He'll be speaking and leading a worship service next Sunday night, and without fail we experience intense spiritual attacks every week before he speaks as he is preparing to communicate the message God has given him.
thankful for your love,
ejk
 

6 comments:

Woollard House said...

I AM SO SORRY, AND I LOVE YOU SOO MUCH. HANG IN THERE!!!!!! XOXOXO

beckyjomama said...

STINK!!!! I am prayin for you all. You know that ... we love you!

Hayley said...

i feel like that's horrible of your pediatrician! :(

Unknown said...

Oh my Erica! You sweet thing, I am so sorry to hear about your past few days (I haven't been online since Thursday...and even that was brief)...but I am relieved to read of your fresh perspective and how God is speaking to you through Aron and refreshing your spirit.

I am appalled that a doctor could have such poor bedside manner...especially with little Belle (a sweet innocent 3 year old). Hello?! I can only assume that there are some underlying issues with this doctor an unfortunately you were the recipient of this displaced and unjust rudeness.

Belle is in such good regular loving care, by her mommy and daddy, and by a perfect Doctor and Master Healer, One who is gentle and kind and will write permanent stickers and love notes all over her heart even if she is a bit "uncooperative" at times. Just remember that when you are feeling overwhelmed or fearful of her eye health. I'll be praying for her!

And as for that darn enemy...he loves to attack at these vulnerable times (in your case) and in those times when you are being used for good and to spread truth and bring glory to God (as in Aron's case). I'd recommend vocally calling him out and speaking truth aloud. There's not much more he hates than to hear the name of Jesus being praised...even through trials and storms.

And how frightening about your exposure at work. I am sure your head has been swirling with all of the "what ifs." Kinda like icing on Satan's cake, huh? I'm glad to hear that the Lord has granted you rest and peace. I will continue to pray for that for you (and for Aron and this upcoming week).

And one last thing...As for a man showing his wife how he loves her. I definitely think that a number one way to demonstrate this love and for a woman to feel loved is when her man regularly nurtures his own spirit and guards his heart...when he leads his household spiritually and with boldness... and when he seeks God with his all. When done, how can a woman not feel loved...everything else just falls into place.

Gladly lifting Kirkhaven in prayer. Rest well tonight.

Heather said...

Jesus, we pray right now in Jesus name that all of the tests would come back negative on this exposure. We know Satan uses things to discourage us, but we pray that you would remind us that you are in control. Thank you, Lord that we don't have to worry, Lord and you have our needs taken care of before we have them. You have ordained all of our days. Thank you, Father for your plan.
Amen.

Erica, I myself have had a needle exposure from someone who smoked cocaine, and I can totally relate to how devastating and scary it is to wait for the results. I will definitely be praying for you, especially as you find the rest of the results out tomorrow. Keep us updated. Many blessings to you!

P.S. Praise the Lord for husbands who know just what to say and how to say it to our sensitive souls.
-Heather Metzger

Anonymous said...

Satan rearing his ugly head all over the place - well - GOD IS GREATER!!!
I will be praying for all of these situations, and especially for Aron this week...
and shame on that doctor! I'm not sure I would be walking through his door again...he better not mess with Miss Belle again or he may have Miss Berni's wrath to deal with! And that is not a pretty sight...ask my kids...
love you guys to pieces