Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Growth in the Cold

With the cold forcing us indoors, Aron & I read quite a bit more in the winter. I think there are about 15 books laying around our condo right now - each with dog-eared pages reminding us where we left off.

Because we are so busy - between ministry, marriage, music, & mini-me's (in no particular order) - we rarely read novels for pleasure but rather books that challenge, inspire, coach, or help us to grow in our relationship with Jesus. But we need this. We crave this. We talk about what we have learned or how it impacts us in the moments uninterrupted by life's noise. We are idea people - motivated by possibilities and potential. (We are both NF's - intuitive feelers - for those of you familiar with the MBTI). I think this make us incredibly compatible - but also incrediby passionate (and as we have learned through personal life experience... passion can either be synergistic or combustible). But that is a post for another day.

So I'm wondering, what books are you reading/have you recently read that are shaping you or causing you to think and grow? How so?

much love to you, friends
ejk

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

She Did What She Could---five words of Jesus that will change your life---by Elisa Morgan

Aunt Betty

Aron and Erica said...

I will have to look that one up at the Library...Sounds like just what I could use right now.
much love, Aunt Betty
erica

beckyjomama said...

So Long Insecurity - Beth Moore ... ROCKING.MY.WORLD. And, how sweet of her to write a book just for me.

kara e said...

erica, really wish i could tell you what i've been reading as of late, but i haven't read a book since mr. i was born. i just haven't been able to find the time. i read a devotional book daily, but that's it. it's been a huge change for me as reading is one of my favorite past times (literally)!

Aron and Erica said...

kara,
Oh do I understand. I don't think I have finished one book since judah was born either. I have a few that I am slowly reading a few pages here & there.
But never fear...summer is coming, and you will have so much time to lounge by the pool while Grandma holds Isaiah!! You'll have to just make your summer reading list & hang on till then. But as you said in one of your posts, the babies sure soak up all our free time, but we wouldn't have it any other way. somehow those things don't matter so much any more!
much love to you,
erica

Jenni said...

Missional Renaissance and Servolution. Both for my internship and both shaping me in different ways. M.R. is helping me see that ministry is more about people development than how many come to church. Servolution just makes me want to serve people in metro Detroit.

I'm reading in Exodus with Moses as well. Learning about delegating (Ex. 18) and the importance of that to prevent burnout!

Isn't reading wonderful?!

What are you reading?