Monday, February 1, 2010

oh boy, oh boy

Oh MY, raising a baby boy is sooooo different from raising my baby girl.

He is only 5 months and is into EVERYTHING a-l-r-e-a-d-y.

Just now, I placed him in the middle of Belle's floor under his toys on his playmat while I quickly straightened up the living room. I walked back in the room less than 5 minutes later to find him quietly playing completely covered beneath a pile of books (he'd rolled and scooched over to Belle's bookcase & pulled about 6 books down on himself). I couldn't even see his face.

Saturday he hoisted himself out of his swing, landing belly down on the floor; he didn't make a peep. I wouldn't even have known except Belle quietly came to the table where Aron & I were talking, "Mommy, brother jumped out of his swing". We both jumped up - expecting a hurt baby - but instead found his little head turtled up & a proud grin on his face.

Moment of honesty...he wasn't strapped in. But seriously, I NEVER, EVER buckled Belle into her swing, high chair, anything. She never tried to get out. In fact, I never even put locks on my cabinets because she simply didn't get into them. Yeah...I have a lot to learn by way of parenting a little boy.

Belle never picked up little things and put them into her mouth...judah tries to eat everything. I'm starting to fret when he does get mobile because Belle has so many toys with countless tiny pieces. How will I ever keep them picked up! I already find high-ho cherrio's and littlest pets all over the house!

Hopefully I have a few months to develop a game plan! Mommies of several little ones...any secrets?
much love
ejk

5 comments:

Amber said...

Prayer!!!

My boy scares me half to death sometimes. Like when he was about 18 months and ran straight into the 4 feet deep section of a pool. He's never had any fear of water. Boys and girls are so different. I don't know how many times I've said something about women with several boys. I don't know how they do it!

grandma Jackie said...

Time to keep everything out of his reach and keep him off elevated places like counter tops cause that boy is gettin too mobile and squirmy. now the fun begins!:)Give him and that big sister of his hugs and kisses from grandma.

beckyjomama said...

Belle LOVES her little bro AND she is a very smart girl, so explain to her WHY they need to be picked up and kept track of. Then take her to the dollar store or Target and let her pick out special bins that close tight to keep her stuff in - she can even decorate and label them with pictures or words and make them her own. Maybe even try to make it "her" idea and that would be even MORE fun. Just make it special and she will understand.

Kim Mierau said...

Oh, Erica, I have no worries about how you'll do with a little boy. You're going to be fantastic! Love you!

Anonymous said...

We found out very early that we needed to buckle Samuel into EVERYTHING we put him in! Samuel squirmmed out of that little rocker thing we had for him. Samuel wants to get as high as he can, into as much as he can, and go as fast as he can! Watch out Erica! ;)