Saturday, August 30, 2008

Stirred

God is good, that I can say with confidence at the end of the day.

I wish I could describe to you the day I had at work. I tried, but the post was so long, I deleted it. Let's just say a conversation with about 7 other nurses at the nurses' station while working involved statements like "F**k abortion, all I care about is gas prices. I don't care what happens to those dead babies - that's their own problem. We need someone who will fix America." The five others agreed. I stood very alone.

I didn't care I was alone, but my heart was broken. So I ran to the bathroom and cried and prayed. I really didn't have time to...I was swamped with meds to pass and doctors to talk to. But I didn't know what else to do.

It doesn't matter who is elected (the beginning of the discussion I overheard was celebrating Obama's speech on Thursday night)...you cannot legislate morality. This conversation was just an outward symptom of the depravity of the human condition. Our sin is a cancer eating away at our very nature until we look nothing like the creatures we were intended to be. Filled only with disease and pain and dysfunction, we reach a point where evil is called good and good evil. I asked this group point blank, "You care more about a tank of gas than a human life?"

"Yes," they answered. I was sick.

Now I sit and think about the day and even in my own heart how have I valued material things more than human lives, and I am convicted of my own selfishness...my own depravity. My own need for a Savior.

But I rejoice tonight, because God pursues.
God is challenging me to pray for an awakening for those who don't even know they're captive.
Join with me. Hold me accountable. Let us not be lulled to sleep by the pleasures so easily available in our wealth. Pray that God would awaken His church to the reality of the brokenness around us. And that out of compassion we would be stirred to pray, stirred to pursue, stirred to love.
ejk

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! How shocking and disheartening. Even more reason for us all to keep pursuing Jesus wholeheartedly so that we can effectively be the salt of the earth, and to pray for the blinders to be lifted from those who don't know the Lord. As a stay-at-home mom, I often lose sight of how marred with sin humanity really is (besides seeing it on tv and in movies, I don't get out there too much to see it up-close and personal as you just did). I think God has you in that workplace for a reason- and more than just to pay off student loans.

Kelli said...

I'm so touched by your open heart. You stood alone and challenged their logic, you cried for the world in private and you examined your own life to look for improvement. You are a wonderful, caring child of God!