Tuesday, June 3, 2008

choose

Aron & I had a conversation last night while lying in bed expressing our frustration with ourselves at the lack of motivation to pursue excellence in our lives. Though we know it is best, both of us have been neglecting exercise opting instead to hit the snooze button & sleep until the last possible minute. We've been putting off our prayer times together at the end of the day until we're both so tired, we just fall into bed. Even our personal prayer times have been not as much of a priority as we NEED it to be. You see, we both believe God has dreams for us, that God has a purpose & plan for each of us. But we also understand that without connecting with him both individually & as a couple, we won't be #1 prepared when opportunities arise and #2 in tune with his heart to know the paths we are to pursue.

In light of this, a scripture from Deuteronomy has been on my heart & it is really speaking truth to our circumstance:
15 See, I set before you today life and prosperity, death and destruction. 16 For I command you today to love the LORD your God, to walk in his ways, and to keep his commands, decrees and laws; then you will live and increase, and the LORD your God will bless you in the land you are entering to possess.
17 But if your heart turns away and you are not obedient, and if you are drawn away to bow down to other gods and worship them, 18 I declare to you this day that you will certainly be destroyed. You will not live long in the land you are crossing the Jordan to enter and possess.
19 This day I call heaven and earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live 20 and that you may love the LORD your God, listen to his voice, and hold fast to him. For the LORD is your life, and he will give you many years in the land he swore to give to your fathers, Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.


God is calling us to choose life - to choose Him -in even the smallest decisions. As I contemplate whether to sleep an extra half hour or wake up & take care of the body God has given me for His purposes - will I choose life or will I choose death? I am making a choice when I hit the snooze button, even if it seems ever so small. Those little choices add up.

Now I am not suggesting that there is no grace & no fun. God Himself modeled that there is a time to rest. And there will be days when choosing life means to say no to the busy work & rest or play. But this scripture just highlighted in my mind the importance of the little everyday, seemingly insignificant decisions we make numerous times a day.

So as we walk through our moments and our days, let us choose life, because God in his great love has set before us the opportunity to choose.
ejk

3 comments:

Kelli said...

Wow! Thanks for the reminder.

One little thing that I've chosen is to subscribe to several email devotionals. That way in all my time spent "playing" on the computer I'm also getting some reminders of where my focus should be.

beckyjomama said...

Amen sister!!! I am so with you on this one - not only in that it is lacking in my life, but in the determination to DO something about it! Not only my physical well being, but my spiritual as well - and even more so!!!

Thank you for the reminder~

Amber said...

That's just perfect. I think I'll just copy and paste your post for my Thursday Thoughts. But that might defeat the purpose of what your talking about!

I get to be in Ripley for the 4th of July, I'm so excited!