Sunday, June 22, 2008

Making Planning A Priority

I'm all full of inspiration after the Willow Creek Arts Conference, but I'll let it out one thought at a time. One thing that really stuck with me is the power of planning. I took a workshop taught by Willow's Executive Producer for all their services. He talked about how they plan every Sunday service four months in advance down to the smallest detail. This allows them to pull off some amazing moments on Sunday due to making planning a priority. It's no wonder their average service is an amazing experience.

People will argue that planning doesn't allow room for God's spirit to work. Or that by planning we are being control freaks. But something that God has really impacted me with over the last few weeks is that He makes planning a priority. In fact, as early as Genesis 3:15, God reveals that he is planning on sending His son to save us.

This may not sound revolutionary, but for me, it was huge. I'm not a planner at all, so I often question the value of planning and what it has to do with God's call on my life. I have found God is calling me to excellence in planning moments of transformation and wonder at church. And this is a biblical concept. Jesus' life and death were well planned thousands of years before he came. God orchestrated the most amazing feat in history-- saving the whole world-- something he planned since the world needed saving. Now that's making planning a priortiy.

"The LORD Almighty has sworn, "Surely, as I have planned, so it will be, and as I have purposed, so it will stand." Isaiah 14:24

"Have you not heard? Long ago I ordained it. In days of old I planned it; now I have brought it to pass..." Isaiah 27:36

"But the noble man makes noble plans, and by noble deeds he stands." Isaiah 32:8

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11
APK

2 comments:

Joel Young said...

That conference is amazing. I got the chance to go a couple years ago, and I wish I could go every year. Good stuff man.

Kim Mierau said...

Aron, I loved your thoughts on this. You have such great insight into Scripture and daily faith and God's heart. Love, Kimmy