Wednesday, September 10, 2008

God is humble

Does it blow your mind that God is humble? I read this today in Matthew 11. Jesus said:
28"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

It blows my mind that God is humble. The Christmas story is another great example. The God of the universe comes as a baby born in a stable. I think it's the same in our hearts. We accept Christ and follow him, and he comes humbly into our hearts giving rest to our souls.

This reminds me of a poem I wrote called "The Favor of God." I'm often tempted to think that God's favor in my life is in personal success. When I'm not successful, I must not be pleasing him. But I think the truth is he shows his favor in more humble ways:

Like a child's smile--like a moonbeam's light
Kind and mild, but oh so bright
Such is the way which you delight
Such is your love and favor's sign

Of a dream, of first light
Of trickling streams and fireflies
Of stars that dance spark fears take flight
Such is your love and favor's sign

Of sun warmed skin and lazy days
Closest of friends stroll twisty lanes
Of love held loosely and given away
Such is your favor--delight in the day
APK

3 comments:

beckyjomama said...

love it

Kelli said...

Aron- Thank you for sharing your poetry with us. Its wonderful!

Unknown said...

I like that poem...marveling in the little things, the simple wonders and gifts that He stamps on this world in such humble ways. Cool!