Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Missing Me Some Brown County Fair Love

Had a good-hard cry Monday night. I was blindsided, really. I had no idea it was fair week until my niece, Grace, mentioned it when she called me Monday.
The fair is one of my most anticipated events of the whole year. I am an extreme sentimentalist...& the fair holds a special place in my heart. And there's a special place in my stomach for the pork tenderloin & ribeye sandwiches. This is the first year in a very long time that I haven't been. We even took Isabelle when she was 7 days old.
Infact, Aron first confessed his love for me at the Tractor pulls our Sophomore year of high school at the fair. I could barely hear him over the screeching of the engines (if you've ever been to a tractor pull, you know exactly what I mean).


So, after I got off the phone, I had a good therapeutic cry. I'm still feeling a bit sad in my spirit. Just knowing that everyone is there and we are not - that's hard. Yet another reminder of this on our friend, Mike's blog. But on a good note, my parents are up this week, and they brought our niece, Chloe. So that helps soothe the ache. All the schools in the county get fair week off; my mom - who is a school teacher - took her week off to come celebrate Belle' s birthday. Very cool. So while I'm missing me some Brown County Fair Love, I'm sure enjoying some Gardner family love.

ejk

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain. We missed the fair while we lived in Indiana. If I could, I'd ship some ribeyes to you!

beckyjomama said...

That is so romantic - a tractor pull!!! Aron could write a song about that, but he may need George Strait to sing it!!!!!!

And I totally understand the homesick stuff. I miss the AZ state fair like nobody's business! There is a BBQ stand there that is to DIE for. So, ya go for lunch, eat a few corndogs, play a while, have the BBQ for dinner and stop by the indian fry bread stand for dessert on the way out.
Now I'm crying!

Unknown said...

Hey, I know all about tractor pulls! In Saline, we even had "Tractor Day" where the students drove their tractors to school! Darcy still cracks up about that! And the first day of the Saline Fair, we only had to go to school for a half day (would have liked an entire week off though). I was able to go back to the Fair this year (had been the first time in years).

It's hard moving away from home, from everything you know...especially when you miss out on the things you enjoyed doing most...and you see that life there goes on without you. It gets easier with time, and before you know it you will be building memories and traditions here that may someday be of great sentimental value. Glad to hear your family will be in town visiting...A little piece of "home" brought to you!

P.S. Did you go to the Armada Fair this year? You should try to go next year if you can. I am sure they have a tractor pull too! You could make it a date night for ol' times sake!

Kelli said...

Awww- I wish I could give you a hug. Homesickness is no fun. Hopefully we'll all help you make some good memories here too. I'm glad your parents are coming into town to spend some time with you. I'm sure that will help.

Shannon said...

Erica, I feel you pain. We have not been since I was very first preganant with the twins. Actually we were staying with Myra and Jason and I found out at their house I was pg. We didn't know for a few more weeks they were twins. :O)
We can never go because of school here. This year I was determined to go. I just thought we can go for a short weekend. But THEN, I looked at my calendar. Kaelyn and Haven have a cross country meet Sat. am (while Makenna and I are dance for her for 2 hours) and after that Kaelyn marches in the Creative Arts Festival parade. I know, I know, we are making our own memories here and I am grateful for them. But it is so hard to let go of something you were a part of for so long (and I was only there for like 7 years).
Enjoy your family! I miss my family very much these days....