Monday, September 8, 2008

just call me debbie downer

Today...not my day.

I'll keep it brief.

1st patient became very angry with me as soon as I stepped into the room @ 7:45 am - wouldn't take her medication, fired me, and demanded to see my boss immediately.

2nd pt decided I was conspiring against her. At first she wouldn't take her medication because "I'm already dead. I don't need it anymore". Later in the day she had figured me out. "You just trying to take advantage of my black a**. You're nothing but a white bit**. Satan. You are Satan. Come any closer and I'll murder you. God help me for cursing." (screaming at the top of her lungs - the whole hall could hear her. & I was beginning to get a reputation on this unit).

At 3:00 pm sharp staffing tells me to go home, they don't need any help for the last 4 hrs of the shift. It took me until 4:45 to catch up on my charting (this particular hospital has went completely electronic this week & its a madhouse) at which time staffing calls me back wondering why I am not working upstairs on 7E. "Because you told me to go home," obviously. No, I was not supposed to go home, my patients upstairs have been waiting on me for 2 hrs.

I've had no break, no lunch, and on my way upstairs I call Aron to tell him to reschedule the babysitter we canceled cause I'm gonna be late. He tells me our dear Civy (97 honda civic with 239,000 miles on it) had an episode. At the stop light the engine kept revving, but he wasn't touching the gas. Then it started acting "funny" and the check engine light came on.

okay, maybe its not so brief. If you're still reading, bear with me.

I finally leave - late. I am at the furthest hospital this week (all 3 days), and so my commute is long...and its 8:00 & its already dark!! I'm parked a half mile from my car, and its pouring down rain. No jacket. No umbrella. Soaking wet, exhausted girl.

Aron has a late meeting. I go to Mary Christian's to pick up my daughter who I cannot wait to see. But all the lights are out in the house, except the tv. "Oh, she's already put the kids to bed," I thought. So I knocked softly. Then I rang the doorbell, knocked some more. No luck, so I called. She says to come on in. "I can't; its locked." She says oh you must be at the front. "No, I'm at the side by your van." Ohhhh...well I'll come unlock it. We hang up and I proceed to wiggle the door knob, peek in the glass of the door while I wait. My phone rings.

Erica...you must be at the wrong house cause I'm standing at the door and I can't see your car.

Nice. Add attempted breaking & entering to my list of charges today.

So if you made it through my melodrama, say a prayer for me the next two days. I'm feeling pretty exhausted and its only Monday.
ejk

6 comments:

Denise said...

Rough day! Good thing God's mercies are new every morning! That is something you can bank on. Pray the rest of the week goes better for you. Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness. You could write a book just about that day!! Sorry it was a tough one. I'll keep you in my prayers!!

Hannah

Kelli said...

Oh sweetie, somedays being a working Mom just _____ (fill in the word of your choice here- I'm trying not to use the one I have a tendancy to say).

I'll keep you in my prayers. I know that you know that God will give you the strength you need for this time in your life, but sometimes we need a little reminder.

Big Hugs!

Woollard House said...

Im praying for ya. xoxo Alyssa D.

Unknown said...

Oh sweetie..you poor thing! Now that is one heck-of-a case of the Mondays! As I was reading your post I wanted to reach out and hug you several times. What a draining day! I do not like those "what could possibly happen next?" days...when you repeatedly muffle under your breath "you're kidding me, right?"

Deep breaths, lots of prayers, love on your family and let them love on you...tomorrow is "hump" day! You will make it through. Stay encouraged!

beckyjomama said...

I really, really, REALLY want to hug you right now. I pray today was better.

Love ya!
XOXOXOXOXOXOX
Becky Jo