Monday, September 1, 2008

Live for nothin' or die for something

Just finished watching "Rambo". I wasn't expecting much, but it was actually very good. It's very graphic (violence), but I heard Slyvester Stallone actually made it that way on purpose to heighten the public's awareness about genocidal violence in third world countries.

In the movie, when Rambo decides to help some American Christian missionaries who are taken hostage, he has to rally a group of mercenaries to help. His challenge to them is, "Live for nothin, or die for something." Very inspiring, but I think ole Rambo is just ripping off Jesus from Matthew 16:25.
Rambo was right on, though. I want to quit living for nothing (a.k.a. just pleasing myself and doing what I want to do) and start dying for something (sacrifice my own wants and needs for the will of God and for other people). I think I'm going to start wearing a red head band and carrying a combat knife to remind me to live for God. Who's with me? If you think I'm crazy, I'll just say this:

Live for nothin', or die for something.
APK

4 comments:

beckyjomama said...

I totally agree with the sentiment of this post and think that we should all adopt such an attitude. HOWEVER, I think the head band and knife may be taking it a little too far. Also, perhaps, there would not be as many complaints about the sound level in church if you were carrying that knife around.

Hmmmm, there's a thought.

Anonymous said...

I must agree with you as well, but I am thinking that there would likely not be ANYONE in the church to complain about the audio levels if he rattled that saber around! A little frightening....do you sing Metallica as well?

Kelli said...

I'm with ya. Except for the headband and combat knife. You're on your own there.

Woollard House said...

yea. wow. lots of memories of this type behavior. Can't help but wonder if you have a clean shaven head under that clever disguise? this isn't just a ploy to cover up a bad hair day is it? And I couldn't help but notice that if you were painted green in this pic you would look like one of the ninja turtles. Rapheal maybe? Love ya. sis