Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Sparrow

"Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father. And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows."
Matthew 10:29-31

The other night we were at our favorite one-stop-frozen-custard-shop "Erma's" and while we were enjoying some Pina Colada and Butterscotch flavored custard, Erica interrupted the delightfully commonplace conversation with an inquiry:
"Is that a sparrow?"

I looked over and there beside us about two feet away was the very small bird known as a sparrow.

"Yes." I said, having well-rounded knowledge of common American birds from hours of watching the bird feeder with my dad while growing up in rural southern Ohio. Erica resumed her small talk but my mind was in another place. I suddenly became aware of the Presence of much more than wildlife and my family.

As I watched that small sparrow, I was keenly aware that Someone else was watching him as well. God was present, watching over that sparrow. I was in awe, because as the Holy Spirit reminded me of Jesus' words, I realized God was there, smiling over me - smiling within me - perhaps enjoying the small talk of my beautiful wife as much as I was.

The Bible says God is with us, within us, and watches over us. He is the Living God, the Present God. Whatever you're going through these days, know that to the one who created life itself, you are worth more than many sparrows.

















APK


1 comment:

beckyjomama said...

Awesome ... I needed that word this morning.
Thanks Mr. APK!