Tuesday, October 7, 2008

All is dark on the home front...but I will not fear

Belle & I are approaching night 1 home alone this week. Its a very big step for me, because...well, you see, I'm 24 years old and still afraid of the dark. Yep, its true. Aron was gone Friday night and I slept with the lights on.

Its a fear, that by God's strength, I am learning to conquer, and its about time. Because I have let it conquer me for many, many years. In fact, the last time we went home, we stayed at Aron's mom & dad's home (mind you, we did live there for a year), and I woke him up 4 times and made him go downstairs to kill the intruder I kept hearing. Turns out the intruder was the water heater. I forgot how noisy that thing can be.

One of many fears I'm learning to release. At many seasons during my life I can best describe myself in two words: I fear. I'm longing for the day when I can sum me up like this: I trust. I do not fear, I have no fear, I will not fear because I trust in a God who is bigger than any fear I encounter.
So now that I given myself a pep-talk, off to bed I go!
much love
ejk

4 comments:

Hannah said...

Awww don't worry Erica, I'm almost 23 and I'm afraid of the dark too. I fear having to pee in the middle of the night, because I don't like getting up in the dark. I even sleep with a bat under my bed. I'll keep you in my prayers! If you need anything call me 586-549-7079 :)

Shannon said...

Erica you are not alone. I am not really afraid of the dark unless I am outside in it alone with no moon but in my house I am okay for the most part. But I fear many other things that partnering with the Lord I am trying to overcome. It is such a horrible thing to fear and yet know that is exactly what Satan wants of us. When I am fearful I say outloud "Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the things of God, but the things of men." Matthew 16:23
I feel better instantly.
I wish I was just a little closer...maybe and hour instead of 2 to 2.5 hours. Hang in there!
Shannon

Unknown said...

Those noises always seem louder when we aren't home or our husbands are out of town, huh?

On several occasions when Darcy was gone I have walked around our house (kids locked in one room) with a butcher's knife (thinking someone was inside our home). I have also heard noises and have demanded anything evil to leave our home-in the name of Jesus. Even called the police once b/c of a car and strange activity within it (turned out the car was actually a PI staking out another house in the neighborhood). When you are a parent it's easy for these fears to be exaggerated b/c of our "Mother Hen" instincts.

You know that God does not give us a spirit of fear...those feelings are not coming from Him! I'll be praying for guradian angels to be surrounding your home while Aron is away and peace for your soul.

beckyjomama said...

Oh girl, I am 40 and do that whenever Steve is away. And I wake him up to go check out our own house at times.

But, we just have to remind eachother that we have the best security guard of all times watching over us!

AMEN~

PS - thanks for chatting yesterday:)