Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Faith vs. Faithful

Song: "Bicycle" by Queen

Scripture:
"For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you." Romans 12:3

Truth:
I think I spend way too much time wishing I had more faith instead of just being faithful to what God has given me. Can you relate? This is a surefire way to feel "stuck" in your spiritual life, because God grows your faith when your are faithful. Kind of like learning to ride a bike: if you never get on the bike, you'll never learn to ride. If you sit around wishing you could ride (faith) instead of just trying to ride (faithful), you'll never ride.

The beautiful thing is, anyone can get on a bike--it's really quite easy. Anyone can try to ride a bike, too. Some get it their very first try (perhaps it was their overwhelming faith in their ability). Other fall (perhaps they were less sure of themselves). Still others fall a lot (not much faith in themselves). But sooner or later, if you just keep trying, you begin to have more faith in your ability; you learn from your mistakes; and before you know it your riding just like the guy who got it on the first pass. 

We've all been given a measure of faith. Perhaps you can't ride on your first try. But if you're faithful to what you can do (sit on the seat...foot on the pedal...go for it!), even if you fall, eventually you'll learn to ride. I want to quit letting my fear of falling stop me from riding. I want to quit wishing I had more faith and start being faithful to what I can do. As Freddie Mercury once sang so passionately, "I want to ride my bicycle. I want to ride my bike. I want to ride my bicycle. I want to ride it where I like."  
APK

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great post...love the Queen reference too :) How fitting!