Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Hope Of Childbirth

"We know that the whole creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time." --Romans 8:22

All this talk about childbirth made me think of this passage in Romans. Paul wrote 2000 years ago that creation was in the pains of childbirth. Now that's a long labor! Erica is currently 2 days overdue and is sooooo ready to have our baby. A lot of things come with being overdue: aches, pains, nausea, cramps, contractions, etc. But the suffering is all worth it, because we have such a glorious hope of what is to come. In the same way, Paul goes on to write this in Romans 8:23-25:
"Not only so, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies. For in this hope we were saved. But hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what he already has? But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently."

So many times we have this assumption as Christians that once we are (re)born, it's all smooth sailing. But Paul compares his spiritual walk to the labor and pains of childbirth. I can definitely relate. And yet, he goes on to write that though we groan and suffer, we eagerly await what is to come because we have such a glorious hope.

God has such good in store for those who have put their faith and trust in him. My wife would tell you that she would gladly undergo all the suffering of pregnancy and labor all for the hope of a beautiful new life. That's a fresh perspective for me in my spiritual walk with God, and when I think about it that way, I will consider these present troubles as blessing if they allow me to inherit a new life with God. The beautiful part is that God allows us to experience the "firstfruits" of our faith here and now as we place our trust in Him on this earth.

Jesus said, "in this world you will have trouble. But take heart, I have overcome the world." This life is hard, but I can't wait for what is to come. My wife is 2 days overdue, and with each day comes more suffering, but I can't wait for what is to come.
APK

No comments: