Sunday, August 2, 2009

restored

It never stops surprising me the way God gives us just what we need when we need it most. He is a good father, as Jesus describes him. Infact, we can call him the most good father - knowing that we who are earthly and wicked desire good things for our children, how much more a Being of infinite love desires to give us good things. Yet, every parent knows that our love for our children may be manifested in many different forms. Sometimes it is gifts, provision, joy. However, sometimes we will not be loving them if we withhold discipline or teaching that is vital to transforming them into the best "them" they can be. Often it requires years removed from situations and a fresh set of eyes to see the true love of a parent. I often forget this about God as I wonder about His involvement in the circumstances of my life.

Anyway, I needed to be loved this morning, and Jesus gave me a very special moment in communion of simple, undeserved outpouring of His love. To be honest, I frequently struggle at this time in our 'service' through the routine of it and the awkwardness of a tradition that is being used outside of its original cultural context...I struggle to connect or to find deep meaning each time. Today, I just sat and listened, and I can describe it no other way than Jesus pouring his love over me in a way I could hear and understand. I am so grateful for this gift - I really needed to hear Him say He loves me.

And Aron's message so hit the spot. I hope to be able to post a link to a video of it later in the week. He spoke about taking our eyes off of our circumstances and fixing them on Jesus so that we can run the race God has called us each to no matter what is going on in our lives. I could blog all week on what I gleaned from today, but I'll keep today's as brief as possible.

And after church I was able to connect with some wonderful friends. The conversations were short, but they were meaningful, and I felt blessed to know a people who love God so deeply. As I arrived home I saw a few comments made regarding last night's outpouring of my heart...and again, I was so grateful for the love both from family and friends. 

Aron grilled some salmon while I prepared the rest of lunch, and the simple joy of being a family filled my heart. Now Aron and Belle are napping, I am curled on the couch preparing to read some of 'Fathered by God'. 
Thanks to everyone for your love and prayers. 
humbly,
ejk

No comments: